I spoke to a man the other day. He is good with numbers, understands space and the composition of things used to fill vacant space. He knows where to start projects and what each step will be along the way because his thought patterns are linear. This man is a civil engineer. He majored in it. Graduated in it. Is now a professional in it. He is very good at it. He doesn't love it. He loves teaching. Teaching doesn't pay what he wants to earn. Teaching courses in college didn't suit him. Here he is, ten years into his career thinking, "I'm good at what I do, why isn't that enough to make me love it?"
I have often wondered why it is that some are given talents that they don't really enjoy. Or they are given a talent that they love, but there's no way to make a living out of it. Or they love their talent and they make a living out of it, but at the expense of losing a personal life.
My civil engineer example seems common among those I know. I know lawyers who don't enjoy arguing, they just understand the judicial process extremely well and can compose and organize documentation like you wouldn't believe. I know doctors who have never really clicked with people and don't have the deep compassion a caregiver needs, but the science and cutting-edge technology fascinates them so they practice medicine. I know childcare workers who love kids, but can't stand to be around them, educate them, or calm them. These people don't love what they do. They must find satisfaction elsewhere.
I know so many people who are more talented than I can imagine. A man who acts, sings and is a decent dancer belongs on the stage. Except that the stage is a hard place to make a living. So, he is a soft wear designer by day and Othello by night. A woman has the ability to calm a crying child, soothe a sore muscle, ease a headache or rehabilitate an injury with her hands. Getting a massage is a luxury and when the economy is down, luxuries get cut from the budget. This woman's skill is for naught, so she clocks in and clocks out to make her money. These people have something they love to do, but the balance is off.
TV, Movies, Music. All full of people who have a talent. Something they have chosen to make their living. All of them must have something that draws us, as consumers, to watch or listen. Then you think about their personal lives. I wouldn't want the problems that come with being a professional in the public eye. Honestly, I don't even like to use a public bathroom. There are a few who sport this lifestyle that keep it together professionally and personally.
Not to appear totally cynical; a few and proud groups of people love what they do. If they didn't do it for a living, it would be their hobby. Hats off to you. Way to merge professional and personal in one cohesive block. In the mean time, I'll maintain my hobby that doesn't make me money, work like I don't have to, and wish I had talent enough to become something.
Saturday, March 7, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment