I am amazed at the different medications on the market now. There is one for almost everything. And a commercial to go with it.
You have mucus, here take this mucus-reducing pill. You have allergies, here take any one of these histamine-blocking pills. You have heart-burn, here take one of these acid-neutralizing pills. You have a back-ache, tooth-ache, head-ache. You have low blood sugar, low sex drive, low platelet count. There's a pill for that. You can take a pill to sleep, a pill to stay asleep, and a pill to keep you awake.
I was thinking about it. I wonder why there is no pill for patience (I'd be popping those like jelly beans). Or a pill for improving your mood (some people use retail therapy for this). Or a pill to bring overly-happy people back to a level playing field (although, is that really what anyone would want?). There are so many things that we medicate for and I sometimes wonder if we are making things worse or better.
Not to sound ungrateful because I love that medication is available. It's good. And I'm grateful that I live in the USA where we encourage pharmaceutical advancements. I just think that issues regarding dependency and side-effects overshadow the goodness of these advancements.
Perhaps my attitude is just rotten. I'm sure they have a pill for that.
Friday, April 24, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
anti-depressant.
ReplyDelete