Many jobs are thankless. And a lot of people feel that they work in a thankless job. I am not one of those people. Maybe it's because I feel appreciated by small things. And I work with great people. Really great people. But, the garbage collector is a person I don't ever see to thank. Same with the mail carrier and my utilities workers. This week, I'm going to take a moment to thank teachers.
I am an advocate and product of the public school system. (I am choosing to ignore the onslaught of jokes that could be made here about my intelligence.) I think it is great. I think that the men and women who are educators, by and large, are people who wanted to teach. These people wanted to make a difference, to be around children, to see the potential in the future through the small people who will create it.
Everyone I know has at least one teacher who made a difference in his or her life. Every teacher has a student who has become something great. Teachers get the chance to see the fruits of their labors much much later. It's not a job of instant gratification. It's not a job for people who can't deal with commotion or silliness or forgetfulness. Teachers get the chance to watch as a student grasps a concept for the first time. Teachers get to watch progress and feel the joy of growth. Teachers get to love other people's children in a way that isn't creepy.
Lest I wax poetic and therefore, sugary enough to force a gag-reflex, I will just be brief: Thank you Teachers. I remember each and every one of you and could tell you a memory or a story for each...but I won't. Just thanks.
Friday, May 8, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment