We live in a really great day. Modern conveniences are everywhere. Push a button and viola you have warm left-overs. Or an elevator called. Or a special message sent. I do have to wonder if all of the advances are getting us in the right place, though when I can't even get anyone to talk with me.
When, oh when, did we get away from talking? How is this good for anyone?
I have a very good friend--I mean a really really good friend--who doesn't answer her phone. She says she is going to be better about that, but if I would just drop her a text she would respond to that! I have been sitting in the room with my nephews and nieces and they will text each other. They are literally in the same room but they just don't feel like talking. I really wish I was kidding here. Another member of my family won't answer the door or phone: "the phone is a convenience for me and the door is there to keep those I don't want away." She must just have ESP to know if her kid is calling with an emergency.
I have to tell you, I just can't live with the anxiety of not knowing what is on the other end of that line or on the other side of the door. Not to mention the desire I have for the immediate gratification of conversation. I would just keep putting up messages over the top of messages while waiting for a response to my previous message. I'm just too impatient. I just appreciate face-to-face/ear-to-ear vocalization. I like to hear a person's voice fluctuate or sound sarcastic or pause for (wait for it...) dramatic effect. I like to ask opinions or get directions or get advice and have the fulfillment of a reply or instructions or guidance. I like making a joke and hearing a laugh. I like singing a song to support a comment. I like to throw in a movie quote to add dimension. I just like a good old-fashioned conversation.
Don't misunderstand. I am not suggesting we go back to smoke signals or Morse code. I just think that these "communication advances" are really a social backward step. I will just continue communicating the best I know how (like I ever shut my mouth!) and hope that I don't get left in the dust because I communicate like I wasn't born during this time.
Sunday, February 15, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I definietly understand.. since I now pay for my own cell phone bill my texting has slowed down tremendously!! It's funny when I call Lee, there's no answer, but seconds later I receieve a text saying, "what's up?"
ReplyDeleteAmen Sister!!!!!
ReplyDeleteWhile I totally understand on much of this, I do have to say that, used appropriately, these advances are great to have. They just need to be used, like all things, in moderation.
ReplyDelete