Friday, April 17, 2009

Starving through school

One of the men I work with is sending his son to medical school in two weeks. His son will be going abroad for school and his little family's life will be changed forever. He said he hopes his son and daughter in-law get hungry, but not his grandkids. And he hopes they don't make really dumb financial decisions. As this man reflected on his own time going to medical school and how difficult things were then, he was hoping that things wouldn't be too different for his own son. He talked about how the 39 cent burritos for lunch every day were sick, but they were cheap. And how he studied from 5 in the morning until 8 in the morning, walked to class, came home and hit the books again. He talked about $5 date nights with his wife courtesy of the park and the hot dog stand. And how they were very hungry most of the time.

I respect this doctor I work with a lot. And maybe that's part of the reason. He is busy and therefore wealthy, but he is also generous and not showy. At all. His wife refuses to pay full price for anything. He's one of those millionaires next door.

An attorney I know moved to Oakland, CA to go to law school. He and his wife lived in an apartment that was about 500 square feet and they couldn't even put their milk carton upright in their fridge. He clerked for a judge who was awful making very little. He studied every chance he had. He's very successful. And worked hard to get there.

I think there are many people who starved their way through school. Many who didn't, but a lot who did. I think those who sacrificed and worked hard to starve through school appreciate it more. There is a sweet moment, way after the work, when someone looks at the success and is envious. When a snide comment comes their way sounding like, "My medical bill paid for 15 shingles on his roof." Or, "I can't imagine how hard it must be to drive a car with leather seats." But at moments like these, the doctor I work with can say, "I never have to eat 39 cent burritos again for lunch, have you ever?" And the attorney can say, "I once lived in an apartment where I couldn't fit my milk upright in my fridge; do you have that problem?"

They may not know it, but their sacrifices have inspired this dreaming writer to push my own kids toward starving through school because what is left after graduation is a stellar professional.

2 comments:

  1. Boy - bringing back a lot of memories of Lane and I starving through school! I remember being sooo excited to find a quarter in the couch, cause I could add it to the quarter in my wallet and get a $.49 taco at Taco Bell and a water. We really were that poor.

    ReplyDelete