Friday, May 1, 2009

Life imitating art

I know that the saying is "Art imitates life" but I find that often, my life imitates art.

I suppose one of the reasons I love to read is because I love transporting myself to other times with other people. I love to imagine things in other places. I love to put myself into the situations the characters are in. And I would like to think that I would handle myself in a different manner than the heroes/heroines in the stories I read, but sometimes I wouldn't know better because of the time in history. Or sometimes the rules of the land wouldn't allow for me to behave in the manner of my choosing. It's a strange thing about books, isn't it.

Another artistic medium I relate to is visual media. I love movies and I'm a TV junkie... enthusiast, rather. I, once again, enjoy a world where people do things I would love to do if I didn't have the totally awesome life I have now. There are thrilling stories and a view from every angle. I can laugh at a funny saying and maybe adopt it so I can use it at an appropriate moment to make others laugh. Or I can struggle to believe any of the situations could actually happen--and be entertained by the delicious ridiculousness of the whole thing. Yum. But, these pieces of pop culture become part of conversation for me. Maybe that's part of what is so delicious to me.

At any rate, I find myself putting pieces of people I enjoy from art forms into who I am. It's part of my progression, I think. I enjoy a certain character trait, realize it in myself (or wish I had it) and try to emulate it. Or seeing a flaw in a character and wanting to never respond as that character does. And there you have it: my life imitating art. Hopefully not from every angle.

1 comment:

  1. kamille, i haven't taken the opportunity to read your column for awhile so i just caught up, and i loved it! well done. so fun to read and thought provoking at the same time. time magazine, here you come.

    ReplyDelete