Thursday, March 26, 2009

We Both Wiped a Tear Drop From Our Face

The title of my post is a lyric to a song. It talks about the tears we cry for different reasons. This week, I cried for the loss of my husband's grandmother.

Darlene Stout, or "Grandma Dar" as we affectionately called her, was the only grandma I got to enjoy. My parent's parents died before I was born, or when I was too young to enjoy them. Grandma Dar was involved in my life. When I first met her in Las Vegas, Spencer and I were dating. We went down for his cousin Amy's wedding and Grandma was extra kind from the moment I saw her. She had a cheery expression. She loved everything about me--it seemed. She told Spencer if he didn't marry me than he'd have to work very hard to find another woman to take the place I'd created in her heart. (Not a direct quote, but that was the gist.) I love her and am grateful that my kids got to know Grandma Dar.

So, what other things cause a tear drop to be wiped from my face? A beautiful song. Music is just a way to get into my soul. A beautiful moment. That hug after the fight or the cute kid holding hands with her dad. A beautiful story line. That sweet moment where all that felt lost has been restored. A beautiful baby. There's simply nothing like a birth. A beautiful memory. Who doesn't want to be remembered?

On the other end of the spectrum... A well placed insult will always draw a tear. Those ones sting my very soul. A sacrilegious comment. The statements that just hurt the heart because they are so very wrong. A momentary lapse in judgment that takes an eternity to restore. A hammer hitting just the right nerve. Literally. All things that draw a tear.

Back to the song, and Grandma. As I watched her turn herself over to the ailments that would take her, the lyrics, "I guess the good Lord giveth and the good Lord taketh away..." ran through my mind. There will no longer be a Grandma. But somewhere in this beautiful life, a child was born. Somewhere someone is hurting, and somewhere someone is healing. Somewhere someone is dreaming, and somewhere someone is living their dream. It balances out. Maybe it's not the most effective coining of phrase, but the mere thought of it is worth the tears.

No comments:

Post a Comment